Thursday, September 3, 2009

First time Derby

Roller Derby is something you had always heard about, but never thought you would see or even be in it. I guess when I heard the words "Roller Derby" I always thought about blood, tons of falling, broken bones, mean girls and to much testosterone. Come to find out, most of that is actually true! You do fall..ALOT and break bones and some of the ladies can play rather dirty.

I had gotten into Derby from a friend of a friend and still remember my first day of practice. I was a little nervous, not knowing what to expect. Not only that but I had never skated on speed skates. As a kid I always wore roller blades and never really got used to it. But as I practiced more and more with speed skates the easier it was to skate. The next thing I had to learn was coming into full contact with other skaters! One thing I can say about my first practice is that I was defiantly hooked! I loved the exercise, adrenalin rush and meeting new people. I now call my derby girls, my other family.

In joining Derby I have made a commitment to my team and myself. Working hard as a team and on my own, The La Crosse Skating Sirens will rock the house and win win win!!!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm really impressed with you. Even though you weren't familiar with roller derby too much you just dove head first into this whole new world. Roller derby is something I'd be interested in, but like you didn't, I don't know much about it, I don't know if I'd be able to handle it, but I do want to come and watch you sometime, if I do like it, maybe I could join you? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. We would be more then happy to show ya the ropes. It is so much fun! And all the girls are really nice. We dont haave another bout till Nov. 28th, so theres lots of time to practice. You can rent skates for free till you can get your own. Mon and wed. 8-10pm at high rollers. Starting next monday, we can talk more about it in person. ;)!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds cool but what exactly do you do to win? Have you ever broken any bones while playing?

    ReplyDelete